Employers in all sectors and industries are looking for good project management skills to speed up innovation and effectively manage change. This two-day programme will enable you to manage projects more effectively, or contribute more effectively to a project team, through the application of a systematic project framework and the use of helpful project tools and techniques.
The qualification is designed to give a broad introduction to anyone involved in project working. No prior knowledge is necessary. The certificate is accredited by the Association of Project Management, and will enable you to take an active part in and make a positive contribution to a project team.
The Project Fundamentals Qualification can also be provided in-house. This is a cost-effective approach if you have a number of people who require training. You choose where and when you want our trainers to deliver. We can also tailor the programme to suit your precise organisation needs. To speak to an adviser about your particular requirements, call our in-house training team on +44 (0)20 8612 6202.
- Length of Programme
- Who is it for
The Project Fundamentals Qualification is ideal for everyone who is involved in project working and who wants to understand the principles of excellent project management.
- Course Module 1 : Introductory Certificate in Project Management - Duration: 2 days
Projects, Programmes and Portfolios
The Project Context An introduction to project life cycles and key success factors
Initiating a project
- establishing the objectives and scope of work
- defining the needs of stakeholders
- establishing a clear business case
- agreeing key roles and responsibilities
Creating a project plan
- project definitions; work, product and organisational breakdown structures
- networks, critical path analysis, risk management, Gantt charts and milestone charts
- an introduction to quality management, assurance and control
Techniques for estimating resources in projects
Resourcing the plan
- how to ensure that the plan is fully resourced, through resource histograms and resource levelling
The project communication plan
- communicate appropriately with all stakeholders, and gain commitment from the team
Building the team
- overview of team development and roles
Monitoring and controlling projects
- tools and techniques
- How to hand over to the operational team effectively
Project closure and learning review
- how to close projects well and identify lessons learned
Individual action planning
The 1-hour multiple-choice exam.
On completion of the Project Fundamentals Qualification you will be able to:
- prepare appropriate project documentation
- recognise good teamwork and describe key roles
- understand risk and quality management
- use appropriate change control procedures
- use key project management tools and techniques
- describe the importance of handover and closure
- understand the need for post project review.
The Project Fundamentals Qualification is awarded by the Association of Project Management (APM). The Certificate is an internationally recognised qualification at foundation level.
- How to gain
To be awarded the Certificate, you must attend the two-day training course, An Introduction to Project Management, and pass the Association of Project Management (APM) one-hour, 60 question, multiple-choice exam.
- Special features
Special features of the Project Fundamentals Qualification course include:
- exceptional tutor support - all tutors are experts in their field and in programme delivery
- groups are small giving opportunity for discussion and feedback
- excellent learning and reference materials.
- Course Tutors
Mr Steve Kendall
Steve is Director of Oxford Projects, and has over 20 years experience in a consultancy, training and coaching role. He has successfully worked with many leading organisations in diverse sectors such as Technology (Rolls Royce, RM, Elekta, Cambridge Consultants, e2v), Education (the Open University), Science & Research (Sharp, abcam), Professional Institutions (IMechE, Royal Society of Chemistry), Environmental (Earthwatch, Proforest) and Pharma (Vertex). Steve is passionate about helping businesses to improve their performance and has a special interest in the management of change via a project-based approach, and fast track projects (Time-to-Market reduction) in particular. Initially, Steve worked in the electronics industry – in telecoms and then computing - where he was responsible for new product developments. This involved the management of large cross-functional change projects, rapid introduction of new technology, and intense cost competitiveness. He is a member of the Association for Project Management, and the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Dates and fees
Full Up-front Qualification Fee £1,017 + VAT, Member fees: £927 + VAT
- tuition on the two-day course module
- all course materials and online resources
- personal tutor support
- examination fees
Fees do not include travel or accommodation.
Module 1 - An Introduction to Project Management, Duration: 2 days days
- 21 June 2017, London / Availability: Spaces
- 27 September 2017, London / Availability: Spaces
- 28 November 2017, London / Availability: Spaces