Talent management is essential and very current for human resources in its efforts to add value to any organisations' business objectives. It draws together how to attract, develop, engage and retain key talent and ensure you have the right leadership in place for future success. Career Management recognises that engaging and seeking to understand and deliver what employees want and need will build retention and ensure talent is not wasted, and many leading organisations are now realising this.
The qualification addresses the multi-faceted context of the demand for performance – more from less – and the need to balance this with the needs and desires for achievement and structure from individuals and groups in the workplace. Using leading tools and techniques students are encouraged to align their coursework with initiatives currently going on in their job.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Talent and Career Management can also be provided in-house. This is a cost-effective approach if you have a number of people who require training. You choose where and when you want our trainers to deliver. We can also tailor the programme to suit your precise organisation needs. To speak to an adviser about your particular requirements, call our in-house training team on +44 (0)20 8612 6202.
- Length of Programme
You have a maximum of one year to complete the requirements of the programme.
- Who is it for
This qualification is ideal if you are already in, or seeking to move into, a talent management and/or career management area of responsibility, or if you’re in a related function such as learning and development or recruitment. You may also be seeking to develop coaching or consulting skills. Course delegates come from a wide range of industries, in both private and public sectors, and increasingly talent specialists from Europe, the Middle East and Africa have taken part in this course, joining a growing international talent network for the future.
On successful completion of the programme, you’ll be able to:
- critically evaluate external factors affecting career and talent management policy in organisations, including political and economic issues
- establish links with workforce management planning and align to overall organisational objectives
- design and develop a workable talent management strategy
- conduct a talent and career management audit
- introduce managers to design and use of behavioural competencies for success based job profiles and gap analysis for development planning
- promote learning agility and develop high potential talent
- inform your actions with appropriate use of individual assessment tools
- build your expertise in evaluating external suppliers in areas such as coaching and talent management software
- use career coaching techniques with individuals to assist personal career development
- work in partnership with line management to identify and overcome the barriers and resistance to implementation of talent development initiatives
- reflect on and modify your own personal career plan.
- Overview of the qualification programme structure and planning
- Key research on talent management in organisations
- Analysing your organisation's external and internal strategic context
- Stages of the talent management lifecycle
- Completing a talent management audit.
- Career management – alternative theories and practical strategies
- Workforce demographics and generational differentiators
- Psychological to sociological determinants of the career concept
- Assignment guidance and preparation.
Module 2Day One
- Talent tools: eg. 9 box grid, 360 feedback, and technologies that support talent management
- Succession planning
- Employer of choice
- Evaluation, ROI/ROE, data and analytics.
- The use of competency frameworks for job profiling and individual development
- Balancing individual career needs and the needs of the organisation
- Current practice in performance management
- Strategies for a structured approach to individual assessment.
Module 3Day One
- Key skills in the coaching process
- Frameworks helping the client and coach
- Change, organisation culture, values and the learning organisation
- Partnering, politics, stakeholder management
- Key skills and CPD for HR/L&D/Talent professionals.
- Career coaching research, models and principles
- Psychology of work and career theory
- Career profiling/assessment tools and tests
- Do's and don't's for effective career discussions
- Common problems in career coaching
- Career management policy and practice within organisations.
2 hour webinar
The aim of this module is to provide students with an interactive approach to developing their skills and personal development.
- Develop strategies for enhanced personal effectiveness and development
- Develop a workable strategy for assessment and tracking development
- Critique theoretical perspectives on CPD and apply the relevant knowledge to different contexts.
Upon successful completion of the programme, you will be awarded Postgraduate Certificate in Talent and Career Management. The postgraduate qualification is validated by Middlesex University.
- How to gain
To be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Talent and Career Management, you must:
- attend the three face-to-face modules (which are two days each)
- complete four written assignments of 3,500 words each
- actively take part in online discussions and group activities
- complete the self-assessment tool and CPD entries
- complete five hours of telephone coaching with your personal coach
- attend the final module webinar (after the workshops).
- Special features
Whether you’re doing a course, qualification, or in-house programme, the tutors you will meet have in-depth knowledge of their subject, and combine academic expertise with years of hands-on business and industry experience. They are passionate about their specialist areas, and have proven time and time again their ability to facilitate top-quality learning and provide the best possible learning experience. So, whilst theory and models matter (and you’ll get them), they are skilled in helping you ‘translate’ them into your day-to-day reality.
Take a look at the Tutors tab on this page to view biographies of just some of the tutors you’re likely to meet on the programme. Why not look them up on Google – we’re proud of the fact that many of our tutors are among the UK’s leading experts in their specialist area.
Unlimited support from your personal tutor
When you start your qualification programme, you’ll be assigned a personal tutor, who will provide support, guidance and encouragement throughout your studies by phone or email – invaluable when you’re juggling the challenge of studying with a busy home and work life.
Comprehensive additional resources – on and offline
You’ll be provided with comprehensive documentation and reference material to support you in your studies, including textbooks (where relevant), in addition to which (on most programmes) you’ll also have access to an online Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). The VLE includes extensive additional learning resources and links to articles, research, surveys and practical tools relevant to your studies. It also enables you to network with your fellow learners and participate in networked discussion forums facilitated by your tutor between face-to-face learning days. Plus you’ll find tips and guidance on how to do assignments, and for exam-based qualifications, revision tips, past exam papers, examiner’s reports, online exam tutorials and much more.
A blended approach
Most of our programmes take a blended approach – combining face-to-face learning with self-study and online working (via the Virtual Learning Environment). This powerful mix is one of the best ways to achieve sustained skills enhancement, and also minimises the time you need to spend away from the office.
Practical and applicable
For your learning to work, it has to be relevant to your workplace. That’s why our programmes focus on providing you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to apply your learning back at work straight away. You’ll explore your own needs and issues, as well as share experiences, challenges and insights with other participants and your expert tutor. We constantly update and improve our programmes, to ensure they are aligned with your changing needs and prepare you for the issues facing your profession.
You’ll be given extensive resources to help you put your learning into practice as soon as you return to work. Our qualification programmes provide you with comprehensive documentation and reference material to support you in your studies.
Other unique features of this programme include:
- access to a range of career and talent management research and resources produced by the CIPD
- support of a personal coach – five hours of telephone coaching
- all essential (core) reading is provided (though wider reading is also necessary)
- emphasis on your own career management and strategy
- the opportunity to network and exchange ideas with like-minded professionals
- small group sizes to ensure the opportunity for discussion and feedback.
- Course Tutors
Mr Andrew Paul Larkin
- Dates and fees
Full Up-front Qualification Fee £4,840 + VAT, Member fees: £4,840 + VAT
Course module by course module fees
You'll be invoiced on an individual basis for the total fee of £5,080 + VAT.
Fees include all tuition, personal tutor support and telephone coaching, assessment, course materials and access to the dedicated Virtual Learning Environment. They do not include travel or accommodation.
Membership is not mandatory to complete this programme; however we strongly recommend coming into Affiliate Membership in order to benefit from the full range of CIPD resources available to members.
For more details on membership, or to register, please go to our membership page.
- 1ˢᵗ Module: 15 June 2017
- 2ⁿᵈ Module: 14 September 2017
- 3ʳᵈ Module: 14 December 2017
- 4ᵗʰ Module: 09 March 2018
£4,840.00+ VAT [About membership]
- Member: £4,840.00 + VAT
- Location: London
- Availability: Spaces
- 1ˢᵗ Module: 02 November 2017
- 2ⁿᵈ Module: 08 February 2018
- 3ʳᵈ Module: 24 May 2018
- 4ᵗʰ Module: 03 August 2018
£4,840.00+ VAT [About membership]
- Member: £4,840.00 + VAT
- Location: London
- Availability: Spaces