Gain an in‐depth understanding of all aspects of the creation of digital learning content, including how to effectively analyse the learning need, work with internal stakeholders and external suppliers, as well as the design and development of the digital learning content itself.
With rapid change in the way we access and consume information, traditional media is fast being complemented with a range of digital options. Ensure you’re prepared with this new, highly practical, five-day programme, written and delivered by one of the UK’s leading experts in digital learning, Barry Sampson, with content also developed by Clive Shepherd.
This course is for you if you have an interest in creating digital learning content. You may be a teacher, trainer, lecturer or coach. You may be a subject expert with knowledge you want to share. You may already be a creator of learning content, looking to update your skills. Whatever your interest, this course will help you to design learning materials that really make a difference.
- explore ways to analyse requirements
- describe the power of pictures
- write and produce a podcast
- explore the component parts of producing an animated learning asset
- explore the success factors of working with a subject matter expert
- write and produce a live-action video learning asset
- write and produce an interactive learning asset
- list the key features of documenting the design process.
This is a practical hands-on programme designed to ensure you gain the confidence you need to continue your learning in designing digital learning assets beyond the programme. This programme provides you with a unique opportunity to meet and share your experiences with like-minded professionals from a variety of organisations, helping you to develop ideas and solutions that you can use back at work. Your learning will be enhanced through presentations and in-depth discussions, along with demonstrations of the skills and tools used in the session. For your learning to work, it has to be relevant to your workplace. That’s why our programme focuses on providing you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to apply your learning back at work straight away. You’ll explore your own needs as well as share experiences, challenges and insights with other participants and your specialist tutor.
Who is it for
The course is aimed at a number of audiences:
- learning professionals looking to improve their skills in the design and development of all sorts of digital learning content
- existing designers and developers looking to formalise their understanding of the key principles of effective learning content design and of the processes of design and development
- existing designers and developers looking to broaden their skills to encompass a wider range of content types
- subject matter experts who want to be able to create their own learning content or work effectively with others who will be doing this for them
- learning professionals aiming to improve their understanding of the principles of effective learning content design and of the processes of design and development, so they can better manage these activities
- teachers and lecturers in further and high education will also find this of use for their delivery in schools, colleges and universities.
We do not expect you to have any particular design, technical or media expertise or experience. Participants will come from a wide range of backgrounds and will have different goals. Where possible, we will form groups to provide a balance of different skills.
On completion of the programme, you will be able to:
- question a project sponsor to determine the learning requirements, the characteristics of the target population and the logistical constraints
- given this information, determine whether digital learning content will add value, the form(s) that this content should take, and the skills, tools, time and budget required to design and develop the content
- develop a clear, logical and concise proposal to the project sponsor outlining all of the above
- establish a design and development process that will deliver the content to the required standard within your budget and timeframe, ensuring adequate provision for inevitable changes in the light of new information, shifting your business needs, developing ideas and learner feedback
- work with a specialist tutor to determine the technical content that needs to be covered, but without surrendering the initiative in terms of the design and always with the needs of the learner in mind
- given an approved proposal for digital learning content, and in consultation with other specialists where necessary, develop a design for the content that clearly describes the end product and provides other information needed by the project sponsor and other stakeholders to progress with the development of the content
- write clearly and concisely for the screen and for voiceover
- create or source suitable imagery (photos, illustrations, diagrams, charts) and perform whatever simple edits are required to suit the intended purpose
- describe the conditions necessary for high-quality audio and video recording and post-production
- within the constraints of the course environment, record audio and video and perform simple edits
- effectively combine text, images and other media elements to create slide shows, animations, software demos, web pages and PDFs that conform to established design principles
- effectively integrate interactivity into multimedia materials in order to design tutorials and scenarios that conform to established design principles and deliver on their learning objectives
- write test items that validly and reliably test the achievement of specific learning objectives.
Before you start this course, it’s important that you consider the following questions:
- how do your personal objectives align to the course objectives?
- how will the course objectives enable you to perform better at work?
- what outcomes do you want from this course? (For example - learn new insights, find out the CIPD's view, confirm my thinking, challenge my own point of view, increase effectiveness at work etc.)
Run this programme in-house
This course can also be provided in house. You choose where and when you want our trainers to deliver. We can also tailor the programme to suit your precise organisation needs. To speak to our customer services team about your particular requirements, call us on +44 (0)20 8612 6202
, or request a call back